[erlang-questions] String encoding and character set

dda headspin@REDACTED
Mon Jan 15 00:50:14 CET 2007

String types – at least well-implemented ones – don't just store a
string, but also encoding information. They are/should be geared
towards pain-free manipulation of text data, and by text I mean things
outside ASCII-land. Encodings-aware string manipulation functions
don't function on bytes, but on characters, a quite different notion.
We don't have this in Erlang.

--
dda