[erlang-questions] lists:reverse/1 as a built-in function

Michael C Williams mike@REDACTED
Wed Jan 10 18:02:49 CET 2007

--- Richard Carlsson <richardc@REDACTED> wrote:

> Once upon a time, for some random reason, the
> unfortunate choice was
> made to let the auto-imported functions take
> priority over any locally
> defined function of the same name. /.../

I think I was I who introduced this behaviour in an early version
of the JAM Erlang VM. We were experimenting with built in
functions and wanted to be able to override incorrectly
implemented built in functions without recompiling / building a
new VN. At that time, we were using SUN workstations based on
68030 processors and recompiling and linking took a looooong
time.

/m