[erlang-questions] Non-free files in Erlang/OTP distribution?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Wed Jan 3 10:03:16 CET 2007

Hi,

What about this statement from RSA? (the link below)
I think it clarifies that it is ok to redistribute derivative work
regarding the MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm.

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all

It is written by:
"Linn, John" <jlinn@REDACTED>
February 19, 2000

and begin like this:

 The purpose of this memo is to clarify the status of intellectual
property rights asserted by RSA Security Inc. ("RSA") in the MD2, MD4 and
MD5 message-digest algorithms, which are documented in RFC-1319, RFC-1320,
and RFC-1321 respectively.

        Implementations of these message-digest algorithms, including
implementations derived from the reference C code in RFC-1319, RFC-1320, and
RFC-1321, may be made, used, and sold without license from RSA for any
purpose.

It then continues, but I think the above statement is clear enough.
Note, the code distributed with Erlang/OTP is derivative work from the reference
implementation in RFC 1321.

/Regards Kenneth