[erlang-questions] Cocoa IDE for Erlang (again)

Samuel Tesla samuel.tesla@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 20:17:10 CEST 2007

On 8/29/07, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:

> Suppose I wanted to provide IntelliSense and similar functionality
> for Erlang. I think this will require re-parsing the code buffer on
> every keystroke or whenever "." (dot) is typed.
>
> What is the most efficient way to implement the interface between the
> editor and the Erlang VM?

While this is a valuable question to ask, I'd think it's a bit premature.
Are you sure that just using the erl_interface isn't going to be performant
enough?  Have you profiled it? If the easy solution ends up being fast
enough, why bang your head against trying to engineer a faster one?

There are at least two other projects that are similar to what you seem to
be doing, that I know of.

For Emacs: http://fresh.homeunix.net/~luke/distel/
For Eclipse: http://erlide.sourceforge.net/

I know that Distel connects to any Erlang node, so it is using the TCP. I
use distel myself and it does context sensitive parsing so that function
signatures show up in my Emacs minibuffer and various other things, and I
never even notice any performance penalty.

I haven't used Erlide myself, but I imagine it's pretty decent. I assume
that it is using the JInterface, so it is doing the same thing.

-- Samuel