[erlang-questions] (newbie) why do I see no output in the erlang shell?

Ruslan Spivak ruslan.spivak@REDACTED
Sun Aug 26 19:28:47 CEST 2007

josephgrossberg.55762538@REDACTED writes:

> Apologies if this has already been covered -- I would imagine that others
> encounter this problem but I could not find the answer to this problem --
> and thanks in advance for any help more experienced Erlangers can offer.
>
> I am using Mac OS X (10.4) and I downloaded the tarballs of both the most
> recent and second-most recent versions.
>
> I did the configure && make &&
> sudo make install dance (without passing them any options) and fired up erl.
>

> And then, this:
> $ erl
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.4 [source] [async-threads:0]
> [kernel-poll:false]
> Eshell V5.5.4 (abort with ^G)
> 1> 1+1
> 1> 1
> 1>
>
> According
> to everything I read, it should print "2" and then "1" after my two commands.
>

> So what am I doing wrong here? I've RTFM'd and STFW'd to no avail. I really,
> really want to start hacking away with this language. :(

You should put dot at the end, ie
1> 1+1.

Regards,
Ruslan

--
Two monks were arguing about a flag.  One said, "The flag is moving."
The other said, "The wind is moving."  The sixth patriarch, Zeno,