[erlang-questions] (newbie) why do I see no output in the erlang shell?

josephgrossberg.55762538@REDACTED josephgrossberg.55762538@REDACTED
Sun Aug 26 18:11:49 CEST 2007

Apologies if this has already been covered -- I would imagine that others
encounter this problem but I could not find the answer to this problem --
and thanks in advance for any help more experienced Erlangers can offer.

I am using Mac OS X (10.4) and I downloaded the tarballs of both the most
recent and second-most recent versions.

I did the configure && make &&
sudo make install dance (without passing them any options) and fired up erl.

And then, this:
$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.4 [source] [async-threads:0]
[kernel-poll:false]
Eshell V5.5.4 (abort with ^G)
1> 1+1
1> 1
1>

According
to everything I read, it should print "2" and then "1" after my two commands.

So what am I doing wrong here? I've RTFM'd and STFW'd to no avail. I really,
really want to start hacking away with this language. :(