[erlang-questions] erl -make exit status

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Thu Aug 23 23:00:41 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 8/23/07, Michael Campbell <michael.campbell@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 8/23/07, Kenneth Lundin <kenneth.lundin@REDACTED> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is your real problem?
> > Is it the fact that "erl -make" doesn't return an exit code to the shell?
> > Or is it the "can't find include lib" thing?
>
> I can't answer your question to the OP there, but it seems a bit much
> to call a usable return code a qualification of a "heavy duty" build
> tool, no?  As it is, you can't even script the thing reliably.
> <shrug>
It seems that you misunderstood what I wrote in my earlier post.
Maybe it gets clearer if I say like this:
I think that  erl -make should return a usable return code (to the
Unix or similar shell), we will look at that.
But fixing this still does not make the "make" module suitable for
heavy duty building, there is far to many functions missing for that.

The make module has been around for + 10 years now with only minor
enhancements during that time. So obviously we have not got many or
any complaints about "erl -make" and the lack of useful return code. T
his indicates
that the invokation via "erl -make" is very rarely used. The dominating use is
make:all() from the Erlang shell.

/Kenneth