[erlang-questions] Building a Non-blocking TCP server using OTP principles

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Thu Aug 23 05:14:58 CEST 2007

Despite the fact that aborting the application is also what's
implemented in the tutorial, this may seem questionable to be "the only"
reasonable recovery action as for some servers EMFILE can be a temporary
condition.  Suppose there was a spike of short-lived client connections
when the server might have hit the limit of file descriptors.  As some
client connections disconnect, the server's gen_tcp:accept/1 call may
recover automatically.  I could speculate that in selected cases it may
be more expensive to failover/recover state of some applications in a
node then to attempt several retries in a timely manner.

Serge