[erlang-questions] Tilera 64-core chip

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Aug 20 16:15:47 CEST 2007

--- "Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with Tilera?
>
> http://www.tilera.com/index.php
>
> For example their PCI Express card with a 64-core*
> chip
> and 6-12 gigabit Ethernet ports, all running at ca
> 35W,
> sounds like a pretty good match for SMP Erlang... (:

It does seem to run Linux (in some sense, "supports"
is a flexible word) so it can't be too exotic. That's
good. I wonder what ISA the cores implement? MIPS?
PPC? It also seems interesting to consider this:

1. 5MB onchip cache => 78 KB per core (at a guess
that's 16+64 KB locally per core in split caches of
some sort).

2. What memory bandwidth does the chip support? (E.g.,
how many pins?) And what will 64 SMP Erlang cores
require?

Best,
Thomas