[erlang-questions] Parse-transforming !! to a function call

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Sun Aug 12 04:36:02 CEST 2007

2007/8/12, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc@REDACTED>:
> One weird thing is the "with" and "and" that you elide aren't really
> semantic sugar or ignorable. They are a meaningful part of the
> selector's name.  Destroying objective c to fit with erlang fills me
> with a special sad since the NS API is probably the best one I have
> ever seen. Also practically there are many selectors that start with
> the same prefix and differ only by the 2nd arguments. Your scheme
> would create some confusion there too.
>
> -ryan

So you have issues with example names? Do you have anything to say
about Foo, Bar and Baz as variable names too?

I'm not writing the objc gateway. Joel is. He can preserve the
meaningful parts of selector names on the erlang side as he wishes.
Personally I think 'With' and 'and' are pretty meaningless parts of an
imaginary meaningless method name, which is why it would be silly with
a 'doStuffWith:and:'(Foo, Bar) function. It's very different if we
have things like drawCircle:at: and drawRectangle:at:.  Then we have
information.