[erlang-questions] Design of the Erlang VM

Tony Finch dot@REDACTED
Tue Aug 7 16:59:22 CEST 2007

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Bjorn Gustavsson wrote:

> It is not stack-based; it is register-based.

I get the impression from a quick look at Joe's HOPL paper that the
registers are special-purpose and implicit, and the instruction format is
suitable for a threaded code interpreter. This implies to me that it isn't
like a CPU instruction set in the way that Lua 5 VM instructions are (see
http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/doc/jucs05.pdf). This is a guess so
I'm probably wrong...

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@REDACTED>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA: SOUTHERLY, BACKING NORTHEASTERLY FOR A TIME, 3 OR 4. SLIGHT OR