[erlang-questions] lock-free hash table

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Wed Aug 8 05:37:18 CEST 2007

Another useful application of SMP-safe lock-free FIFO queues could be
inside the emulator.  Correct me if I am wrong but in the emulator with
SMP support different schedulers use mutex synchronization in order to
get the next process descriptor off of a shared linked list of all
processes waiting to be dispatched.  Also when copying a message sent by
some Erlang process to a mailbox of another Erlang process the emulator
with SMP support uses POSIX locking to ensure thread safety (if I
remember it correctly).

In both of these cases using lock-free FIFO queues can provide a much
better scalability when used on multi-core CPUs compared to traditional
mutex-based locking primitives.

Serge