[erlang-questions] Erlang vs. Stackless Python

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri Aug 3 19:15:06 CEST 2007

Zac Brown wrote:

> The reason for that is that its not really even a parallel
> test since there's only one process running at a time so
> you're just making one big line, that could easily be
> accomplished by one process constantly talking to itself.
> Dumb way to show erlang's power if you ask me :).

Well, it does illustrate the cost of spawning and
the cost of message passing, and how the cost depends
on the number of concurrent processes.

It's been a while since I looked at Stackless Python,
but I believe its "processes" are not quite as
capable as Erlang processes, esp. in terms of fault
tolerance and debug support. By all rights, they should
be cheaper than Erlang processes...

BR,
Ulf W