[erlang-questions] SCTP support in Erlang/OTP

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Mon Sep 25 23:53:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have a question for the OTP team.

We developed an extension of the inet driver used by the emulator to
support an SCTP protocol.  This protocol is available in Linux kernel
2.6.x and Solaris 10.  Our gen_sctp implementation has very similar API
found in gen_tcp and gen_udp, and we've been using it in a number of
internal products.

We would like to release these SCTP emulator patches to open source for
potential inclusion in the OTP.  I would like to find out how to pursue
this as I am sure many developers would benefit from having support of
this protocol in Erlang that offers features like:

- Multi-homing
- Preservation of message boundaries
- Multi-streaming
- Reduced head-of-line blocking
- DoS prevention (four-way handshaking session setup)

However, we do have a small development team and would not be able to
release and maintain this project for an open source community by
providing support for a large developer base, as answering questions may
destruct my team from working on internal projects.  We could, however,
interface with a relatively small number of maintainers for
troubleshooting needs.

So, I would like to ask the OTP team for advice on if there's interest
in evaluating this work, and if there is what are the guidelines for
including this project in the OTP.

Regards,

Serge

--