[erlang-questions] ERTS; code-server; dynamically loading of code

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Sep 18 16:32:12 CEST 2006

Of course, toying with dynamic code loading is great
fun. In a current project, I do dynamic code loading
from mnesia on demand. Rather than messing with the
error handler, I do something like this:

try_module(Who, UserStr, Mod, IsOwner) ->
    try list_to_existing_atom(Mod) of
        ActualName ->
            case erlang:module_loaded(ActualName) of
                true ->
                    ...;
                false ->
                    try_load(Who, UserStr, Mod)
            end
    catch
    end.

try_load(Who, UserStr, Mod) ->
    ...,
    case mnesia:read({?CODE_TABLE, list_to_binary(Mod)}) of
        [] ->
            false;
        [#tups{value = #mod{bin = Bin}}] ->
            ...,
            case code:load_binary(ActualName, Fname, Bin) of
                {module, _} ->
                    {true, ActualName};
            end
    end.

Prototype code, mind you, but it seems to work
reasonably well. Points of interest are:

- list_to_existing_atom/1 to avoid dynamically
  creating unknown atoms
- erlang:module_loaded/1
- code:load_binary/3

BR,