[erlang-questions] Join equivalent

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Fri Sep 8 14:30:58 CEST 2006

> Is there an equivalent function in Erlang to “C pthreads join”?
> This can semantically be implemented with linked process with
> ‘receive to exit’, but what I want to know is whether there is a
> direct BIF to call after spawn?
You are on the right track with "receive to exit". One nice trick you
can do in erlang is to return the result of some short lived process
in the exit message. This saves having to send a result message as
well as handling the EXIT. Sketch of code here:

spawn(fun() -> short_lived() end),
receive
    {'EXIT', {ok, Result}} ->
       result_proc(Result);