[erlang-questions] Fw: Berkely DB was: MySQL cluster

Tim Rath rath64@REDACTED
Mon Oct 23 20:24:28 CEST 2006

I've been using Berkeley Db from Erlang for a while now, and contrary to Emil's analysis, I think it is an excellent choice, (we're basing a major project on it.) We're also using their high availability clustering support. That said, there are some drawbacks to be aware of. First I'll assume you are familiar with Berkeley DB, and so understand the trade-offs between using it and a sql based alternative.

Given that, the first thing that you will find is the lack of a good Erlang driver. My collegue is working on changing that. He is in the process of getting his internal (to our company) Bdb driver approved for open sourcing, and (I think) is in the final stages, so hopefully that will be available soon.

Next, it really helps to know a lot about the Berkeley Db products, and a relationship with the Sleepycat folks doesn't hurt either (well, we're using their very latest and greatest feature support, so we go back and forth with them all the time - if you stick to the tried and true, this is not so necessary.)

And beyond the high availability clustering support, which will get you to a certain scale, (it is a single master solution), further distributed (e.g. partitioning) support is all up to you to provide.

Thus far, we've been very happy with it as a solution. We selected it based on in-house expertise with Berkeley Db though. If you are a MySql expert, and know nothing about Berkeley Db, the draw might not be so great.

I'll privately mail my collegue to see if he has any more advice to offer you. He wrote all of the Erlang Bdb support, and knows leagues more about Bdb than I.

-Tim