[erlang-questions] List comprehensions

Liam Clarke ml.cyresse@REDACTED
Thu Oct 12 09:02:50 CEST 2006

    Hi all,

Just reading the manual on list comprehensions, and looking at the
comprehension to return all permutations of a sequence:

perms([]) ->[[]];
perms(L) ->
    [[H|T] || H <- L, T <- perms(L--[H])].

I'm having trouble with understanding what's happening. I assume it's
evaluated left to right from the ||, and I'm sort of grasping the
general interplay of the generators and the recursion, but I'm also
missing it at the same point.

I think I get how dual generators work now -

will yield

How could I rewrite the permutations comprehension as a function so I
can sprinkle it with io:format()s so as to understand what's happening
better?

Regards,

Liam Clarke