[erlang-questions] Question about potential application

Bob Cowdery Bob.Cowdery@REDACTED
Fri Oct 6 09:24:48 CEST 2006

Rich

Thanks for responding. I have since discovered we need to cater for very large documents (100MB+) even though the majority will be very much smaller. I am considering a shared memory solution where the message is effectively in shared memory and a reference is passed so the next process in line can attach. If it needs to go across a machine boundary then its only one transfer. If anybody knows any reason why this might be problematical I would appreciate hearing about it.

Bob

	-----Original Message-----
	From: RCB [mailto:rcbeerman@REDACTED]
	Sent: Wed 04/10/2006 16:55
	To: Bob Cowdery
	Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Question about potential application

	Bob,

	I wrote a commercial application in Erlang that does something similar.    Instead of using the ! operator to transport large quantities of data between nodes, I chose to use gen_tcp calls directly.  I did this mostly because I understood the performance characteristics of gen_tcp under heavy load.    It works very well, btw.   Let me know if you have specific implementation questions.

	Rich