[erlang-questions] Multiple modules

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Oct 5 10:31:09 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 10/5/06, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
> Modules ... thoughts
>     1) distribute only one file
>     2) modules in file cannot live a life of their own and become
>        separated
>     3) code loading is faster

If the modules can't live a life of their own, why would they need to
be separate modules? The only advantage I see would be a partitioning
of the namespace, but is it a strong enough argument?

Actually, I can see a possible application - only one module is
visible externally and the others just support it and are hidden (i.e.
the compiler mangles the name beyond accidental use). Then the module
namespace would be cleaner too (and no more "app_module" names ;-)

What would you like to use this for, Joe?

regards,
Vlad