[erlang-questions] Multiple core processors

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Tue Oct 3 09:52:16 CEST 2006

Gerd Flaig wrote:
> Cameron Kerr <ckerr@REDACTED> writes:
>
>> And is there a benchmarking process/document/result for multicore-etc
>> machines. I have an opportunity to use a Sun UltraSPARC T2000 running
>> Solaris and Linux, and would like to get an idea of the likely
>> performance metrics compared to classically threaded programs.
>
> there has been some discussion about this in June:
>
>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.erlang.general/15639/focus=15643

There are also some benchmark results in the R11 release notes:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5/doc/highlights.html

> If I had to make a wild guess, I'd expect that the process ring
> benchmark would scale almost linearly with the number of processors.

Probably not, since the typical ring benchmark only has one active
process at a time. If there were multiple messages being circulated
simultaneously, things would be different.

	/Richard