[erlang-questions] Intel and 80 cores

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sun Oct 1 16:20:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 9/30/06, CyBerHigh <cyberhigh@REDACTED> wrote:
> Some applications... I would say most applications.  I would be more
> impressed with a new hdd that allowed 3 G/s read and write speeds with
> 1 ms seek times.  Sadly hdd are not the 'cool' thing people brag
> about.  However as cpu and ram speeds get faster hdd will grow
> slightly.  Hopefully there is a large leep in performance some day soon.

Well, things begin to happen on that front too: solid state memories.
There are some 32GB flash "hdd killers" (see
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/21/samsung_unveils_ssd/) so I'd
say the snowball is rolling. The main issue for now is the fact the
flash memory has a limited lifetime (in number of reads/writes).

best regards,
Vlad