Erlang port to the Java Virtual Machine

Vlad Dumitrescu XX (LN/EAB) vlad.xx.dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed May 31 15:58:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

> From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED
> [mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Yariv Sadan

> I looked at jinterface (never used it), and it seems like it
> would be possible to write a generic tool that would expose
> any Java api to Erlang via rpc using jinterface behind the
> scenes.

Well, yes, of course it's possible. In order to avoid any stubs, it is
not only that the API has to use static methods, but also only use as
arguments and return values simple types or OtpErlang* ones. And in that
case, the rpcs are very little more than the regular rpcs used with
jinterface.

Since Erlang is basically a server-oriented environment, my feeling is
that the way to go would be the other way around: build a Java
application that is only the presentation layer and let it do RPCs to
the Erlang server. This way, no stubs are needed.

The remaining issue is the handling of RPCs so that one can make calls
from different Java threads.

Regards,
Vlad