Erlang port to the Java Virtual Machine

Andrew Lentvorski bsder@REDACTED
Wed May 31 00:00:52 CEST 2006

Christian S wrote:
> On 5/30/06, Andrew Lentvorski <bsder@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Has anyone done any work on porting Erlang to the JVM?
>>
>> I know that the JVM is less than ideal (lack of tagged data types, lack
>> of tail recursion, problems with dispatch).  However, the JVM has some
>> advantages in terms of deployment, external OS control, and GUI
>> integration that would be useful even in a fully interpreted mode.
>
> I'm just curious but... Which advantages exactly?

Deployment:
Java Web Start -- Click and run.  No install required.

External OS Control
Launch an external media handler
Put a task in the system tray (coming in Java 1.6).

GUI Integration:
Tk and Gtk only - that pretty much makes my point
(Yes, I know about the wx bindings.  I've used wx.  Never again.)

Bonus: Java external libraries
There are a lot of libraries in Java which could then be called without
having to create large, special-purpose wrappers.

-a