Linus Thorvalds has stated something about microkernels and monolithic kernels

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Wed May 10 15:00:05 CEST 2006

launoja@REDACTED wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:42:14 +0300
>  Jouni Rynö <Jouni.Ryno@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> which is interested to read for Erlangers, IMHO.  [...]

   linus seems to be saying that for a system where global state is important
(has "coherency issues"), it is counter-productive to break the system into
independent parts. seems reasonable enough to me.
   of course, a distributed system with concurrency issues is an altogether
different beast.

> [...]
> But here's an interesting link concerning microkernels and isolation -
> escpecially when considered Erlang in mind:
> http://tinyurl.com/qhuhg

   this appears to be written by the same Andy Tanenbaum who declared
that "Linux is obsolete" in -92...
(http://people.fluidsignal.com/~luferbu/misc/Linus_vs_Tanenbaum.html)
   14 years later it has become "Linux is full of bugs."

   mats