ODBC on 64-bit Erlang

Pieter Rautenbach Pieter.Rautenbach@REDACTED
Fri May 5 08:25:10 CEST 2006

Click here to view our e-mail legal notice:
http://www.tebivo.com/email.htm or call: +27 21 888 7920
Hello Richard

>Is there a good reason why the odbc application doesn't work with 64-
>bit Erlang on Unix? The Makefile which normally builds
>"odbcserver" (a port process which links with libodbc) explicitly
>prohibits it in this case:

I came across this too.

>ifneq ($(BITS64),yes)
>EI_LIB = -lerl_interface -lei
>UNIX_TARGET = $(BIN_DIR)/odbcserver
>EXE_TARGET = $(UNIX_TARGET)
>endif

I just removed the test condition and forced the build. After testing
it seemed that odbcserver is working fine. I'm actually using it like
that in a production system. I searched the web for more information
on using odbcserver with 64-bit architecture, but found none.

>There seem to be a few instances of int types being cast to void * in
>the source code. But, other than that, is the application
>fundamentally broken on 64-bit architectures, or could it be easily
>fixed?

I haven't done too much code digging myself, but I couldn't see any
problems. If anyone else have come to other insights, please respond.

Pieter Rautenbach