File sharing software

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed May 3 18:45:08 CEST 2006

Yariv Sadan wrote:

> Maybe it's possible to develop for Mnesia an alternative disc
> only storage engine designed for storing large blobs. It
> wouldn't have to be an Oracle killer. It would just have to
> handle very large data sets, have decent performance, and
> avoid the rebuilding cost associated with broken dets tables.
> Such a solution would make Mnesia more versatile and
> therefore more appealing for applications for which it makes
> sense to sacrifice soft real-time performance for large
> storage capacity. What do you think?

This was one of my intentions with trying to prototype
an API for foreign table types in mnesia (included in
the RDBMS patches). Berkeley DB might be a good
candidate (others have integrated berkeley_db and
mnesia already, in a proprietary fashion.)

After discussions with Dan Gudmundsson, we've agreed
that the approach needs more thought. There may be
better ways to do it.

With really large tables, the synchronization protocol
between nodes also needs to be looked at.

/Ulf W