Strings (was: Re: are Mnesia tables immutable?)

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Wed Jun 28 18:47:50 CEST 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 9:13 PM, Yariv Sadan wrote:

> I've been hacking the JSON parser in Yaws, and I actually came across
> usage of the undocumented (as far as I can see) xmerl_ucs module,
> especially the to_utf8 and from_utf8 functions. I would have probably
> never known about these functions had I not seen this code.
>
> Yariv

Have you looked into jungerl?  there is a lib called gettext which
does lots of unicode conversions?
In short, erlang has libraries (like gettext) to convert to/from
various formats.  What's missing is: 1) best practices 2) combined
with macros or syntax sugar or language additions to make binary
strings more transparently usable and 3) efficiency: memory copying
and storing strings by default as binaries encoded to default format
(utf-8?) instead of lists of integers.

ke han