Strings (was: Re: are Mnesia tables immutable?)

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Jun 28 13:34:16 CEST 2006

ke han wrote:

> I don't care about the internal representation of string so
> long as its (a) _significantly_ more memory efficient than
> one word per character in a list and (b) allows me to pass
> these non-mutable strings between processes without a mem
> copy each time.

If you want to see something memory-inefficient, try compiling
Erlang for 64-bit. Each character in a string will still be
two heap words, but each word will now be 64 bits instead of 32.

/Ulf W  (: