Strings (was: Re: are Mnesia tables immutable?)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Jun 28 13:01:50 CEST 2006

--- "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> [long]

Thanks, Richard.

In essence, it sounds like representing strings as
lists of unicode characters (either as separate
character objects, or simply as integers?(*)) with
ways to encode/decode to other formats (UTF-8, SCSU)
would be a quite reasonable way forward, then? (And, I
suppose, libraries to work with unicode.)

Other useful comments have appeared too. Maybe we
should collect them and see. Are there any programming
language issues to be considered? Backwards
compatibility?

Best,
Thomas

(*) I seem to recall that the old Erlang-5
specification proposed a separate character datatype.
It seems a bit useful to me, but I haven't really
thought it through.