Strings (was: Re: are Mnesia tables immutable?)

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Mon Jun 26 12:02:35 CEST 2006

I do appreciate these conversations on erlang "strings".  As a
practitioner, I have learned lots from Richard and others
clarification of how erlang handles strings and how it compares to
other languages.
Now what I'd like to see is discussion on "best practices" for using
strings (not assuming they are lists of integers but binaries or both
lists and binaries).
Here is the scenario around which I'd like to shape a best practices
thread of conversation:

(1) Given: a web based erlang+yaws+mnesia application.  This implies:
	all semantic data and OLTP go into mnesia, yaws files are used for
control and presentation of all data.
(2) Given: all strings are in utf-8.  why, because its a good "one
size fits almost all" format.  This mean all strings in mnesia, yaws
files, templates, "foreign language lookup strings" etc.. are in utf-8.

Here is a thread of behavior for the app:
Thread A: "User requests yaws page from browser".
This triggers creation of controller and model objects (processes or
lightweight "record models").
These models and controllers are used in binding attributes to or
injecting into the template of the yaws files to output the HTML stream.

assume the file requested is personForm.yaws which contains HTML
inputs firstName and lastName, and select country which contains a
list of countries and the selected item in the list.

The list of countries come from the countryManager process which is
accessed via an attribute of the personFormController process.  The
countryManager process has a life cycle matching the VM and does not
die when the personFormController or its related model objects die.
countryManager returns a list of country names (we'll skip bits about
mapping this to an id and assume we store just country name in mnesia).
The person object (just a record owned by the personFormController
contains attributes firstName, lastName and country (not the whole
list of countries, just the selected country in the list).

several problem come to mind:
1 - handling the HTML "decoration" strings.  This would be things
like field labels, page title etc which would be looked up based on
id from some.  I think this has been address with macros like ?TXT,
but want to reflect on this.
2 - injecting attributes into yaws (either via yaws bind or other
higher level template methods).  How to inject these values without
going from a binary format to a list back to a binary for streaming
out to the browser.
3 - retrieving the list of countries from countryManager to be put in
the select list.  Each time I want to write out personForm.yaws, I
end up passing this list of countries between processes (from
countryManager to personFormController to yaws process handling the
page output).  I _do not_ want this list to be copied each time.  Nor
do I want this list to go from a utf8 binary to a list back to a
binary for streaming out to the browser.

As you can see, although strings in erlang may not be grossly under-
provided for, needing to store them in a compact form and passing
lists of strings between processes (utf8 binary or lists of integers)
compounds the memory issues....when all you want to do is output a
page of concatenated utf8 binaries pulled from different sources.

So, I'm looking for some tips on establishing best practices for
minimizing the copying and the short and long term memory structure.
A goal would be to have a set of practices for a yaws+mnesia app
combined with macros and enhanced libraries which makes it easy for a
beginner erlang programmer to build an app which by default is fairly
efficient.

Any ideas??

thanks, ke han