any recommendation for tutorials on functional programming

Andrew Lentvorski bsder@REDACTED
Wed Jun 21 23:51:32 CEST 2006

Roberto Saccon wrote:
> I am new to erlang and never before used a functional programmming
> language. I am used to switch between Java, Ruby, Javascript and C++
> and I expected it to be similar with Erlang, but it is very different

Well, how basic do you want?

The most basic two tutorials that I know of are "The Little Schemer" and
"The Seasoned Schemer"--the first author is Friedman for both.  I highly
recommend "The Little Schemer" in spite of its somewhat juvenile nature.
  You don't really notice it because you get pay more attention to
typing in the vast number of code examples.

Apparently, there is another book called "The Reasoned Schemer" that
just came out that covers some added logic constructs (a la Prolog) to
Scheme.  I cannot comment on it as I have never seen it; I just noticed
it on Amazon.

I know that someone recommended "The Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs."  It's a good book and lots of people like it.  I
don't actually dislike it, but, for some reason, it never really
resonated with me.

I actually thought "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic
Computation" by David S. Touretzky was better.  It is also available
online: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/

-a