are Mnesia tables immutable?

Håkan Stenholm hokan.stenholm@REDACTED
Mon Jun 19 23:34:12 CEST 2006

Yariv Sadan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a rather basic question: does Erlang's lack of mutable data
> structures mean that every time you modify a Mnesia (ets) table, the
> whole table is copied? This sounds very expensive... am I missing
> something?

Most data structures are non-mutable but mnesia, ets tables and process
dictionaries _are_ mutable, data is copied in and out of mnesia/ets when
accessing - it helps to think of them as erlang processes that one can
send (write) and recieve (read) messages to/from.

Also note that a non-mutable datastructure doesn't necessarily need to
copy everything, it's often sufficient, to build a new datastructure
using mostly old unchanged parts. There are for example tree based data
structures like gb_trees, that have O(log N)  read and write  costs -
only a single tree branch is traveresed or updated, when accessing a
specific tree element.