RFC: template engine [ was: Re: Implementing tables - advice wanted ]

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Wed Jun 14 16:47:59 CEST 2006

> Romain Lenglet wrote:
>
> just a reference:
> Enforcing Strict Model-View Separation in Template Engines
> http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~parrt/papers/mvc.templates.pdf

Excellent reference paper, thanks.  I think all could benefit from
reading this as well as other info at http://www.stringtemplate.org/

A good summary as it relates to this thread...from http://
www.stringtemplate.org/doc/doc.tml
<snip>
After examining hundreds of template files that I created over years
of jGuru.com (and now in ANTLR v3) development, I found that I needed
only the following four basic canonical operations (with some
variations):

     * attribute reference; e.g., $phoneNumber$
     * template reference (like #include or macro expansion); e.g.,
$searchbox()$
     * conditional include of subtemplate (an IF statement); e.g., $if
(title)$<title>$title$</title>$endif$
     * template application to list of attributes; e.g., $names:bold()$
</snip>

Indeed, these four characteristics seem to be all we need and is in
line with mine and others' intuition that a template engine should
_not_ be a Turing complete language.
Unfortunately, StringTemplate has no C port...only Java, Python and
C# variants..
It does seem that building a clean-room erlang implementation of
StringTemplate would be easy for someone handy with lex and parse
tools, hence bypassing an antlr dependancy and implementing entirely
in erlang.
 From there, we only need some basic additions to yaws to pull it all
together.

Of course, if Joe's existing template engine embodies the same
principals as StringTemplate, then that seems worth plugging into
yaws as well.
To be fair to Claes, yaws already does some of this...variable
bindings, yssi, etc..but it comes together as separate utils, not a
cohesive template strategy.

ke han