Helen OS

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Mon Jun 12 06:00:24 CEST 2006

Hi,

I just saw on Digg this Interesting new open source OS:
http://www.helenos.eu/. Among other things, It has support for SMP,
Kernel threads, userspace threads, userspace pseudo-threads
("Userspace pseudo threads are very lightweight threads running in the
context of one userspace thread") and IPC ("the ability of userspace
threads to communicate with other threads (possibly from different
tasks) via sending and receiving, synchronously or asynchronously,
short messages"). The full list is here:
http://www.helenos.eu/?reason=features.

This sounds very Erlangy. I wonder if these features would make it
possible to write C/C++ code with the same scalability characteristics
as Erlang at large numbers of concurrent processes.

Yariv