dets improvements?

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Sun Jun 11 19:16:02 CEST 2006

Den 2006-06-11 16:39:55 skrev Yariv Sadan <yarivvv@REDACTED>:

> I think that with its new clustering features,
> MySQL has positioned itself as very serious
> competition for Mnesia even in Mnesia's home
> court: soft real time applications. Yes, with
> MySQL you still have the semantic gap, which
> is not as sexy as with a pure Erlang DB. However,
> MySQL cluster has similar performace to Mnesia AFAIK,

MySQL Cluster (a.k.a. NDB) actually outperforms Mnesia rather
significantly on in-memory database clusters. It is one of the few
comparable products that does. In terms of transactions/second, NDB should
be at least 2-4x faster than mnesia.

> MySQL has a great track record with running high traffic
> websites, it undergoes rapid development, and, best of
> all, MySQL is open source.

Well, a dual license, actually. But for practical purposes, this often
means GPL.

> I think that if Ericsson wants Mnesia to stay relevent,
> it should invest significant resources in its continuing
> improvement. The competition is heating up and Mnesia is
> losing ground fast.

I don't know about losing ground. Mnesia never did target large databases,
or even really cluster databases (even though it's turned out to be
surprisingly competitive as a cluster database.) The standard solution for
people handling large databases from Erlang is to use MySQL, Sybase or
Oracle. There are lots of applications where mnesia is the obvious choice,
mainly due to the seamless integration, but also because it runs in the
same memory space and can serve simple requests within tens of
microseconds.

Also, the only ones who ever choose mnesia are Erlang programmers. The
lack of an ODBC interface (to mnesia) pretty much makes it a non-starter
for anyone not using Erlang.

Having said this, I would very much like to see mnesia expand its
capabilities, relieving more Erlang programmers from the hassles of ODBC
and third-party product integration. (:

BR,
Ulf W
--