Language Bindings for Erlang Again (Opinion)

Tony Finch dot@REDACTED
Thu Jun 8 12:18:04 CEST 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Matthias Lang wrote:
> Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) writes:
>
>  > In a convential server like Apache you have to spawn one OS
>  > process/connection in order to protect the sessions from
>  > each other. This is very slow.
>
> http://tcl.apache.org/presentations/rivet/apache-architecture.rvt?index=13
>
> Or can I clarify the original post thusly:
>
>   | Apache should spawn one OS process per connection, and, if it did, it
>   | would be slow, but in actual fact it doesn't, but let's assume it does
>   | so that we can say it's slow.

Apache *is* slow compareed to Erlang. You are right that it isn't the cost
of spawning, because that's amortized. The problem is that Apache uses an
OS process or a POSIX thread per connection, and context switching between
them is enormously more expensive than switching between Erlang processes.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@REDACTED>  http://dotat.at/
ST DAVIDS HEAD TO COLWYN BAY, INCLUDING ST GEORGES CHANNEL: VARIABLE BECOMING