Can't compile erlang under Dell Powerdge 2850 bi-processor

Yann Rouillard yann.rouillard@REDACTED
Wed Jun 7 15:41:53 CEST 2006

>  > What is strange is that I already successfully compiled and used erlang
>  > 10.b.9 on another computer (Pentium Pro mono-pro), but if I try to use
>  > on the Powerdge the binaries compiled on the Pentium, erl segfaults.
>
> I suspect the two machines don't have the exact same libraries etc.

Debian Sarge was installed on both machines, so I am not sure the
problem lies here.

> You're not saying anything about the OS, C compiler, or C library versions.

The OS is Debian Sarge, the C compiler is the default one, gcc 3.3.5.
The Linux kernel is different (it shouldn't be important here, no ?),
2.6.16 from Debian Backports on the Pentium Pro where erlang works,
2.4.27 debian one on the Dell Powerdge.

> As a first step, configure R10B-10 with --disable-hipe and try rebuilding it.
> If that makes R10B-10 work then it's an issue with your C libraries.

Ok --disable-hipe solved the problem. Thanks for your help.

I still don't understand why this problem only happens on that machine.
Both machines are Debian Sarge without modification except  the kernel
for the Pentium Pro machine.

Yann