Erlang and high availability

Daniel Goertzen goertzen@REDACTED
Wed Jun 7 04:59:35 CEST 2006

I'm relatively new to erlang, but I've given this area a good read
recently so I'll have a crack at this:

The standard erlang distribution mechanism between nodes is TCP, so you
would be unable to use multiple networks to connect nodes.  However,
according to the erts user's manual, you can write your own distribution
driver to do whatever you want.  You could do multiple TCP connections,
or perhaps try SCTP (google for erlang sctp).  As for monitoring for
partial link failure, I would be surprised if a driver could not be made
to supply such information.

The erlang distribution mechanism takes care of heartbeats, so I don't
see why anything on top of that would need to be done.  See the BIF
monitor_node to get messages about nodes going down.

Cheers,
Dan.