Erlang bytecodes and/or VM description?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Fri Jun 2 11:23:20 CEST 2006

David Hopwood writes:

 > This might seem like a pointed question, but I'll ask it anyway:
 > how does one maintain a VM without accurate documentation of the
 > executable format it implements? I know I couldn't do it.

You're probably underestimating your abilities. It just takes
imagination and dedication.

Most of the OTP group have a lifestyle strictly designed for
extraordinary performance. The exact details aren't known or
documented, but the chief VM designer, for instance, never deviates
from a balanced diet of rotten herring, Swedish chewing tobacco,
cigarettes and coffee. And he always wears one of those helmets with
horns. On overseas raids, he eats babies for breakfast.

In addition, there's a free-running helper-monkey in the building.
The radiation-hardened helper-monkey is kept fully up to date on the
executable format and can answer any developer's question much faster
than you can imagine. Every time someone asks about VM documentation,
frenzied efforts (involving painful injections and dangerous drugs) are
made are made to connect the monkey to the WWW, but so far there's
been little success. In light of recent activity, the monkey is
probably due for another round next week.

Matthias