messages among processes

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Jul 12 19:49:51 CEST 2006

--- Yani Dzhurov <Yani.Dzhurov@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi
>

> What is the most efficient approach to send messages
> among processes?
>
> As far as I read when sending binaries among
> processes is just sending 16
> bytes /header + size/ of the binary. The binary
> itself is shared. Is it much
> slower sending records?
>
> And records containing binaries?

The standard approach is to copy all data except
(large enough) binaries. If message copying really is
a bottleneck, then you might consider using the shared
heap emulator, which minimizes copying.

(How do I get that, you ask? "erl -shared", I believe,
though you might have to build it first.)

The only experience I've heard from using the shared
emulator on a real system reported ... no effect. If
your experience differs, I'd be interested in hearing
about it.

Best,
Thomas