[Off-topic] Re: Best windows installer?

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Fri Jul 7 16:39:38 CEST 2006

Romain Lenglet <rlenglet@REDACTED>On 2006-07-07 05:50,
Romain Lenglet wrote:
> Bengt Kleberg wrote:

...deleted
>> on unix i am quite comfortable with a source/compile
>> installation. whereas on a mac i am only use the normal
>> pre-compiled drag-and-drop installation. otherwise i forgoe
>> the software.
>
> And how do you do upgrades? And uninstallations?

on unix i get the new-version.
[compile]/install it as <application>-<new-version>
move the link <application> from <application>-<old-version> to
<application>-<new-version>.
uninstallation is
rm -rf <application>-<old-version>

on mac i get the new-version.
drag-and-drop it <somewhere>
uninstallation is drag to trash.

>> those that do not have the password for root are
>> surely not able to use their OS/distribution's package
>> manager, are they? so, does most unix user have root, or not?
>
> "Users" above also includes administrators.
> If you don't have root access, or if your administrator has not
> given you enough sudo(1) rights, then your administrator should
> be willing to help you install the software that you need to do
> your work. If he is not willing to help, and then you have no
> way to install software correctly (i.e., using the OS's
> packaging system if there is one, and respecting standards such
> as the LSB and the FHS), then that system administrator should
> be fired.

this is the first time you mention ''software that you need to do your
work''. that makes a change. in that case there is never any problem.

i was not considering only such software.

...deleted

> Stated otherwise, if you can't use the packaging system of your
> OS to install and upgrade software (even if this would require
> that you ask your administrator to do so), it is not a technical
> problem, but it is a human and managerial one. Don't expect a
> technical solution to solve this problem.

i was kind of hoping that it would be possible to install software that
i like but is not needed to do my work. eg: i can do my work with one of
ed, vi, textedit and emacs, but i prefer to use wily.

> And when administrators have to manage several tens or hundreds
> of computers, what do you believe they prefer: (1) download
> sources and compile, and install by hand all software, on every
> computer, and for every installation or upgrade of every
> software, or (2) use automatic tools based on existing packaging
> systems (e.g., cfengine, apt, fai, etc. for GNU/Linux distros)?

when i was a sysadm i used exported/mounted filesystems, instead of
installing on each individual machine. there where no GNU/Linux distros.
heterogenous systems meant build-your-own-solution when i was doing
this. now i would need to check, before i know.

has cfengine now evolved their own packaging? interesting. i only used
version 1, to keep files in /etc up to date.

bengt
--
    EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides
    solely in a computer program then the subject matter is not