question about Erlang's future

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Thu Jul 6 10:17:07 CEST 2006

Have you ever noted where my email's come from :-)

My thesis was penned in 2003.

Let's write the continuation:

In 2004 I rejoined Ericsson, after 6 years,
working in start-ups and research.

Had things changed?  - Yes

Had the ban (which caused us to leave) worked? - No.

"Was Erlang still banned?" - I asked,
"Don't ask, just use it", they said

			- o O o -

Once upon a time, when I was a kid, we had
problems.

"Hello Huston we have a problem" - Erlang is banned

Then "problems" became "issues"

<< in about 1999, please, correct me here,
I was gobsmacked - suddenly a perfectly good word
totally vanished from the language - did you ever
hear a politician use the word !"problem" after 1999=? >>

Issues were pretty stable, for several years, but then
suddenly, (two years ago?) "issues" became "challenges"

Challenges were short lived (lasted about a year)
and rapidly became "opportunities"

So we have

	problem -> issue
	issue -> challenge
	challenge -> opportunity

So the problem we had in 1998 is now a wonderful
opportunity "moving forward".

 			- o O o -

> What does this mean for Erlang's future? Has Ericsson
> abandoned Erlang development besides periodic maintenance or
> will Ericsson push Erlang in new directions? Where is Erlang heading?

Let's try to answer this:

Ericsson has no corporate policy, regarding Erlang.

Corporate policy is way more abstract than talking about individual
technologies - nobody in above middle management knows how a phone
works.

Policy is all about "providing shareholder value, and moving forward,
etc."

So there is no policy about Erlang.

Where are we heading etc. - silly question - nobody knows.

It's like this:

	- We (Ericsson) have a number of products
	  written in Erlang - these earn stuff called MONEY

	- We (and this includes me) are developing
	  "secret-project-number-1" and "secret-project-number-2" etc.
	  these we hope will one day earn MONEY

	- If
		the sum total of MONEY earnt is >> 0
	  and
		we win some internal wars
	  then
		We will do a lot more than periodic maintenance,
		and will actively develop and exploit what the
		technology
	  Fi

Now it is my belief that multi-core Erlang etc. will give us
just the edge we need so that our "secret-project-number-1" will
be orders of magnitude faster than other peoples
"secret-project-number-1"

Will this earn money? - who knows?

Will a competitor produce a better product using Haskell, or Java? - who
knows?

Will we win our wars? - who knows?

The only statement I can make is that, I and the other Ericsson
people who post to this list believe in what we are doing - and as
long as they pay our wages and let us work on the stuff we believe in
then we will work to support and improve the system.

I have quit once, and I will quit again if this ceases to be true.

/Joe