[Off-topic] Re: Best windows installer?

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Thu Jul 6 12:23:51 CEST 2006

On 2006-07-06 02:26, David Hopwood wrote:
...deleted
> Don't Windows and Unix users generally have quite different expectations
> about how installation should work? I would have thought that most Unix

this one i pass. i do not use windows.
perhaps i could be permitted to compare mac and unix, instead?

on unix i am quite comfortable with a source/compile installation.
whereas on a mac i am only use the normal pre-compiled drag-and-drop
installation. otherwise i forgoe the software.

> users prefer to use their OS/distribution's package manager, rather than
> a standalone executable installer.

''most''? those that do not have the password for root are surely not
able to use their OS/distribution's package manager, are they?
so, does most unix user have root, or not?

bengt
--
    EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides
    solely in a computer program then the subject matter is not