Newbie Question

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Wed Jan 25 09:03:02 CET 2006

You're joking,

1 year = 3.15 *10^^7 seconds

Let's buy a fast machine say with a 4GHz clock

This is 4*10^9 * 3.15*10^7 Hz/year = 1.26 * 10^17

Let's assume we can do one computation in 1 instructions
(a very silly assumption)

Then on one machine the computation will take
3.3*10^19/1.26*10^17 years = 2.6*10^2 years

But I very much doubt if you can do one computation in
1 machine cycle - suppose it takes 10^5 cycles (just a guess)

Then it will take 2.6*10^7 years -

That's on one machine.

To do this in Erlang you need to:

	1) Write a peer 2 peer infrastructure for performing massive
	   distributed computations
	2) Write a really snazzy application to get millions of people
	   to install the p2p instrastructure
	3) Use the idle time on all the hosts in the p2p application to
	   do your computation

If you can get 10^8 hosts running you program (it will then be more popular than Skype)

Then you might, with a bit of luck, get an answer.

/Joe