regexp to matchspec

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Jan 23 15:24:06 CET 2006

Yeah, well, I didn't want to open _that_
can of worms. (:

Just being able to use the relatively limited
expressiveness of regexp.erl is a huge step
forward compared to match specs, I think
(when matching on strings, of course).

Also, Robert Virding's regexp library has
a pretty nice internal form that's quite easy
to grasp, and that's what I've based the conversion
on.

Btw, I corrected the bug in my program to properly
bail out when it gets too complex:

1> f(Re), catch (Re =
re2ms:re(regexp:sh_to_awk("*/Otp/*/lib/appmon-*/*.erl"),32)).
[{'$1',[{'orelse',{'andalso',{'andalso',

2> f(Re), catch (Re =
re2ms:re(regexp:sh_to_awk("*/Otp/*/lib/appmon-*/*.erl"),64)).
{error,{too_complex,[{re2ms,incr_total,0},
                     {re2ms,next,1},

I set the default limit to 100,000 tail ops past
the last variable (in total, all branches counted).
One can increase it carefully (requires a recompile)
and measure the memory consumption and conversion
time to suit individual tastes.

I also made pclosure() and kclosure both insert
'false' if they hit the lookahead limit. I don't
know if 'true' would be more appropriate (or if it
matters at all), but it seems sensible that they
both act the same way...

No new code distributed, unless requested.

/Uffe