Troubleshooting a high-load scenario

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Jan 17 17:03:22 CET 2006

I stick to my recommendation.

As a rule, I don't think one gains much by
having messages stay in the socket buffer,
since you can't prioritize them, for example.

It's usually better to have an agent suck the
messages out of the buffer and get them as quickly
as possible to a point where they can be parsed,
tagged and prioritized. Once messages have been
identified and prioritized, effective load
control can take place.

For example, your bots respond to bet requests,
but could probably dispense with other messages
rather cheaply. The efficiency of the bots will
also increase if they can process more than one
message per time slice. The efficiency of the
socket reader also increases if it's allowed to
read and dispatch several messages at once.

/Uffe