Code repository

Vlad Dumitrescu XX (LN/EAB) vlad.xx.dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Jan 16 12:59:49 CET 2006

> Torbjorn Tornkvist wrote:
>
> There is already a 'msc' (misc) library in jungerl.
> Why not put single modules there and add html documentation
> to msc/doc. This way it will automatically be visible under
> http://www.trapexit/org/uc/jungerl/lib/msc/doc.

Yes, I know, and it is also a possible solution.

A problem is that if the code in msc is just a copy of the original (for
example a part of httpd_util), it won't be maintained properly - it
requires extra work and we're all lazy, right? :-) If we weren't, we
would program in C++...

Moving the generic parts of the original to a new module in msc requires
the applications to be refactored, which also needs effort.

I was thinking of an semi-automated solution, where the developer is
only required to add a tag in the code, identifying it as a generic
snippet. A tool could automagically extract the snippet into a database
[*] and update it once in a while. Users would be able to browse/search
the database (see http://pear.php.net/packages.php, for example) and use
an erlmerge-like tool to retrieve the code into their local source tree.

(exactly how to do this I haven't figured yet, it's just a thought in
progress [tm]. Wild ideas I have plenty, like for example putting
together snippets with same tags inside a single virtual module)

[*] maybe even CVS?

> Btw: Has anyone (apart from myself) tried erlmerge ?
> Personally, I find it extremely useful... ;-)

I tried it once to check if it really works, but after that I didn't
need the applications that can be erlmerged.

/Vlad