[erlang-questions] Low-latency Erlang

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Fri Dec 29 12:00:33 CET 2006

Is Erlang suitable and optimized for writing low-latency networking
code?

Are there examples of existing low-latency Erlang networking products?

I asked someone who implemented such code for advice and they
suggested a few things which I will quote below...

"Make sure you avoid context-switches and lock contention if you want
to have
optimum performance. Use scatter/gather I/O for sending bulk messages."

I see readv/writev used in the driver code, does this automatically
extend to networking?

"Make sure that all system calls you perform assume bulk data.  Many
mode switches to the kernel, e.g. if you perform a call for each
message, will kill you."

Does this hold true for Erlang?

"I took real order traffic that we recorded, and played it through at
normal and increased speeds.  Up to 20x - that was the maximum with a
sustained rate of relaying (= reading + writing) ~10000 messages per
second over true TCP/IP connections before too many messages exhibit
critical latencies (> 30ms).  If you don't mind occasional spikes of
a few hundred ms, you can go to almost 20000 messages per second."

This would not be an issue, would it? Something tells me that Erlang
should be optimized for this type of work. I'm not sure about
latency, though.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/