[erlang-questions] List pipe syntax

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Thu Dec 21 10:45:02 CET 2006

I think there is one thing that you must realise with the [Head|Tail]
construction. It actually builds a pair in which the Head and Tail can
be any term. However, Erlang has extra support, both syntax and
libraries, for a specific usage of pirs, as lists. I.e. where the tail
is a list (pair) or []

So syntax-wise:

[1] is syntactic sugar for [1|[]]
[1,2]       -"-            [1|[2|[]]]
[1,b,2]     -"-            [1|[b|[2|[]]]]
[1,2|Tail]  -"-            [1|[2|Tail]]
etc.

This also shows why you can use the [Head|Tail] to add an element to the
front of a list or match a list and remove the first element (the head).

Also all library functions on lists assume and support this usage, as do
most (all?) applications which use lists.

The is_list/1 test just tests that the top level of its argument is
either a [H|T] or a [], it does not do a deep test.

This means that you can actually use pairs to build data general
structures although this is not recomended as it can easily confuse
people. Use tuples instead. In Lisp however this usage of conses (what
they are called in Lisp) is common.

Robert